Frequently Asked Questions
Is therapy a place to just vent and talk about feelings? What can I expect?
Therapy is a very unique experience tailored to the needs of each client. Hundreds of models of therapy exist; each presents differently when utilized. At SHIFT, we use an integrative approach which means we pull from several models to best meet the needs of our clients.
You can expect to do some of the following:
- Process emotions and learn healthy ways to regulate discomfort.
- Understand and grow how you relate to yourself and others.
- Identify areas where you feel stuck then change thought patterns and unhelpful beliefs that contribute.
- Process traumatic experiences that cause distress and impact functioning/growth.
- Learn and practice skills related to meeting your goals.
How long does therapy take? How frequently do I attend?
The length of therapy varies from client to client. We set goals and review them every 3 months. We usually suggest weekly appointments for the first 3 months then revisit thereafter.
I do not live in California, can I still receive therapy?
At this time, SHIFT is only accepting clients who live in California.
Can I become the client of a therapist I know personally?
Ethical guidelines prevent therapists from treating those they know personally. Having that dual relationship can pose a conflict of interest.
Do you take my insurance?
At this time, we do not bill insurance companies directly. We are happy to provide you with monthly receipts that you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.
What should I do if I cannot make my scheduled appointment?
Please reach out if something comes up and you are no longer available. 24 hour notice is required for all canceled/rescheduled sessions. Full rate will be charged in cases where 24 hour notice is not given.